St. Joseph Elementary School
The first one-room public school in Killarney opened in December of 1876 with 45 students and one teacher. This building was replaced by a new school in 1889. In 1937, it was transferred to the Sudbury Roman Catholic Separate School Board and renamed St. Joseph’s School. By this time, the school had grown to two classrooms, with classes up to grade 10.
St. Joseph’s School is now in its third location. The present building located at 8 St. Paul Street was officially opened on May 19th, 1977, offering classes from Junior Kindergarten to grade eight. Classes are now held for children up to grade six. For more information, please visit st-joseph.sudburycatholicschools.ca
Killarney-Shebanoning Outdoor Environmental Education Centre
The Sudbury Catholic District School Board (SCDSB) strongly believes in providing youth with outdoor experiential learning opportunities to learn about our natural environment. In 2009, the SCDSB created The Killarney-Shebanoning Outdoor Environmental Education Centre. The Centre offers curriculum-based programs through both day and overnight experiences to school and community groups across Ontario. Visitors to the centre have the opportunity to take part in programming based on environmental science, local heritage, adventure & team building and Aboriginal education. The programs will both connect youth to nature and encourage a lifelong motivation to learn. The centre is based at St. Joseph Catholic School in the village of Killarney and is adjacent to thousands of acres of rich and diverse wilderness.
For more information on educational programming or facility rentals please visit the centre’s website at outdoored.sudburycatholicschools.ca